Albert Einstein once said, "if you can't explain it simply, you probably don't understand it well enough". Somebody else once told me that whatever it is that you need to describe, you should be able to describe on an elevator ride. So, what is the simple, "elevator description" of Fluxus? Hmmm…
- Fluxus is an attitude. It is not a movement or a style.
- Fluxus is intermedia. Fluxus creators like to to see what happens when different media intersect.
- Fluxus creators like to mix things up. They use found & everyday objects, sounds, images, and texts to create new combinations of objects, sounds, images, and texts.
- Fluxus should be simple. The art is small, the texts are short, and the performances are brief.
- Fluxus should be fun. If it isn't fun, it isn't Fluxus.
Yes, I know that there's more to it than that (but really not that much). But I think that the five points above do a pretty good job of describing "Fluxus in a Nutshell". I could probably even get through them on an elevator ride. In fact, I think I'm going to print them out and keep them in my wallet for the next time somebody asks me about it!
And there is more HERE if you want it.